Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekend Whew

Had a pretty unusual weekend, with E gone. Friday I laid low because I had the Katrina university benefit 5k on Sat am. Made it through in about 28 min, which wasn't bad for me. I'm hoping to run regularly enough to pick up the pace, but I'm just glad I actually did it. Good turnout from Xavier as well as the other schools; much bigger than they anticipated.

Then I decided to bike to the car, which was getting wrapup work from the crash. I changed into my biking gear because I knew it would be a bit of a ride, but I had no idea what I was in for. My plan was to go down the levee to the Causeway, and then up to N. Causeway. Turns out, you cannot do that without getting on a highway with no shoulder. Not a healthy move for a bicycle. So I backtracked and went all over hell & back trying to find a way to get there. My last resort was to go up the Airline overpass (W. of the Tulane Avenue part), and that was ok, but still pretty treacherous.

My point is that it's absurd to have so many people in NO without cars and to have insurmountable barriers to getting around. There's no reason not to add a little bike/pedestrian lane to these highways, a la Jeff Davis Pkway. Really pissed me off.

Then I went to the Festival of Neighborhoods, which was hot as hell, but a nice scene, and with some very enlightening architects' posters about the future of NO. Pretty interesting and innovative ideas, most of which will never be considered, I expect, but it's nice to see some intellectual energy being expended on us.

So I was beat after all that, ordered a calzone, and tried to watch Gummo (sucked; couldn't finish it)--one of my "disturbing" movies that E won't watch. Then Sunday was Rosanne's Juneteenth party and a nice time. Well done.

Looking forward to the couple days off next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home